Otorhinolaryngology is the medical specialty that prevents, diagnoses, and treats adequacies related to the ears, nose, and throat.
This specialty covers a broad spectrum of conditions that can present themselves in the referred organs and have the capacity to perform surgeries. The full name for the specialty is "Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery". It is essential to mention that this specialty deals with these three organs because of how they are connected. Symptoms will often manifest throughout all systems.
- In the ear, you perceive sound, and it is composed of three parts: external, mid, and internal ear. This organ is also in charge of equilibrium.
- The nose is the organ in charge of the sense of smell and the beginning of the respiratory system and upper respiratory tract; it is correlated with taste.
- The throat is the beginning of the digestive tract and along with the nose, the respiratory system, and the upper respiratory tract.
Some ailments and surgeries that can be treated through this specialty:
- Otitis (external or medium ear infection)
- Impacted earwax
- Vertigo (Meniére Disease, Labyrinthitis)
- Hearing loss
- Otoplasty, surgery to change the appearance of the ears
- Ventilation Tubes
- Snoring and sleep problems
- Rhinoplasty (functional and aesthetic)
- Adenoid hypertrophy
Powered by Froala Editor